Attorneys With You
Every Step Of The Way

Guardianships And Conservatorships: When To Step In

Estate planning goes beyond simply drawing up a will or preparing a trust. While it is important to plan for death, you should also plan for the possibility of incapacity. For example, what should be done if you are unable to make financial or health care decisions due to an illness such as dementia?

A durable power of attorney and a health care directive are used to plan for incapacity. However, many people do not consider these options before it’s too late for them to do so. In these cases, a court guardianship or conservatorship might be necessary to make decisions on behalf of the incapacitated person.

Helping Families Care For Their Loved Ones

The estate planning and elder law lawyers at Gries Lenhardt Allen, P.L.L.P., offer assistance to people who need to act as a guardian or conservator for the affairs of another person. In many cases, this is a family member, but not always. A guardian or conservator must be appointed by the court. The appointee is responsible for periodically reporting to the court and obtaining approval for major decisions, such as selling a house to pay for medical care.

Minnesota families can turn to our experienced attorneys when a guardianship or conservatorship becomes necessary. We will assist you with the paperwork and advise you throughout the process so that you can perform your duties with confidence.

Contact our firm today at 612-568-0023 or complete our online contact form to schedule an appointment. We have offices in St. Michael, Minnetonka, and Blaine.